Thursday 19 February 2015

Les Carabiniers Cassique - 15mm Revolutionary Period Range

A while back I posted my Vendee figures on TMP, and among the comments was a link to Stonewall miniatures, a company based in Cornwall, and their range of 15mm Republican and Royalist figures - Les Carabiniers Cassique. You can find their site here... LINK

Unfortunately there are no photos of this range and a google search failed to reveal any information.

So I placed a small order: LCC05 Republican Mounted Generals; LCC22 Grenadier Command in Bearskin; and LCC12 Royalist Volunteers.

The figures have arrived, so here's how they looked...

The figures come in zip-lock bags with plain coloured card labels which are hand written.

 
The figures themselves are traditionally scaled 15mm, rather than the larger 18mm scale miniatures. They seem reasonably well cast, with a little flash. The detail is there but not great, so I'm not sure how, or if, my limited painting skills will bring out the best in these.


The Royalist Volunteers come in mixed poses, and these are quite interesting poses. There's even a multi-part figure with separate weapon - I'm unsure how well this will go together. I think these will mix well enough with the Alan Touller range although they are styled differently.

Here is a comparison picture. There are (from left to right) LCC x3, Alan Touller x2 and Magister Militum's Revolutionary French x2...


The next set is the Republican Mounted Generals. I had hoped these would give me suitable figures for my Marengo project, and there may be one I can use. To be honest, I'm slightly confused to what's what in this pack. There's an obvious general wearing a bicorne, a figure with bicorne and standard, one wearing a bearskin and another with a shako. Any help identifying what these should be would be great.

Again these are cleanly cast, but one horse (top left) has a poorly cats leg that will require some green stuff. Another is quite a small horse, with short legs, but these are not the worst mounts I've seen.


These scale well with other brands. Here, these are (left to right) LCC, Alan Touller, and Warmodelling.


The last pack, Republican Grenadier command in bearskin, I had hoped may have been suitable for Consular Guard, but these are for much earlier Grenadiers. I expect these guys should be wearing white uniforms. Not sure if I like these as much as I like the Royalist volunteers, but they may paint up nicely.


All in, I think this is an interesting range, and if I ever get serious about collecting the earlier Revolutionary period I will probably get more of this range. If the quality had been a little better I may have been more tempted.

No comments: